Sisters , for those of us who have been procrastinating, forgotten the date, scared , uninformed or just have no clue on how to go about getting one , I thought this would be a great discussion to get info from all our well informed sisters out there.
• BeCAUSE breast cancer doesn't discriminate
• BeCAUSE breast cancer doesn't count candles
• BeCAUSE breast cancer can't tell time
• BeCAUSE breast cancer won't wait for the walk
• BeCAUSE breast cancer doesn't play by the rules
• BeCAUSE breast cancer doesn't fight fair
• BeCAUSE breast cancer won't be a friend to your best friend
• BeCAUSE breast cancer is a very real and serious killer
• BeCAUSE breast cancer can happen to anyone, not just your grandmother, your mother, or your aunt
• BeCAUSE breast cancer can happen to your daughter, your granddaughter, your sister, your friend
. BeCause breast cancer can happen to YOU.
The American Cancer Society recommends every woman follow a three-step approach to protect her against breast cancer. This includes:
1. Annual mammograms are the best way to find breast cancer early.
2. Have a mammogram annually if you are age 40 and older.
3. If there is a history of breast cancer in the family, discuss a personal mammography-screening schedule with a health care provider.
Clinical Breast Examination
1. After age 40, get a clinical breast exam by a health care provider every year.
2. Between the ages of 20 and 39, have a clinical breast exam by a health care provider at least once every three years.
Breast Self Exam
1. Ask a health care provider to teach you the proper way to perform a thorough breast self-exam.
2. Beginning at age 20, examine your breasts monthly. If there are any lumps, thickenings or changes, report them to your doctor immediately. Most breast lumps are not cancer, but further tests may be necessary to determine your situation.
(Mammograms tend to run about $150.00 if you are not being covered by insurance.) Anyone got info of clinics that provide free mammograms??