Fiji's Family Network
Seven Essential Guides to a Fuller Life
1. Learn all you can. Learning is our fundamental vocation as human beings and the foundation of all that we are and can become. Some learning comes autonomously by being alive; depth of learning depends upon the desire to learn and the committed drive to keep learning.
2. Practice self-examination. Develop a healthy respect for your strengths as well as needs in order to develop, improve and be open to the promises of being alive. Self-examination is a prerequisite to authentic change.
3. Think for yourself. Couple a desire to know what is true with a critical approach to pertinent evidence. Be skeptical of received “truths;” keep up a curious questioning.
4. Exercise your will. Will achieves its effectiveness through intention and attention; that is, deliberately wanting to do something and focusing on achieving it. We may be free to choose, but will entails work.
5. Make choices in your best interest as a human being. Effective choices are the best guarantee of a productive, fulfilling, and happy life. Recognize the choices for self that intrude on others.
6. Test yourself against experience living with others. Ask yourself assessment questions. Is this situation what I really want? Is this choice working for me? What life-skill could I do better?
7. Continuously relate 1-6, each to the others. Ultimately, each practice is a deliberative aspect of pursuing life in full and integrated consciousness.
by Roger Sween
Comments are closed for this blog post