Matavuvale Network

Fiji's Family Network

Bula Vinaka, Malo Lelei & Talofa Lava

I was wondering if their were any intermarriages between Fijian Royal Families & Samoan Royal Families? I can only think of 1 or 2 but I wanted to ask before opening my mouth lol more info would be great.....

Soifua

Views: 27410

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Bula Motoka

I am aware of theories that run counter to the "mainstream" so-called scientifically excepted theories of SE Asian origins. This includes the migration from Africa espoused most recently by Black American pan- Africanist historians like Dr Rashidi and co. I think that oral traditions should be the backbone of any origin theories. The science of unpacking our myths and legends needs to be furthered as I believe the answers are all there. If you go to the source, you will find the truth. If you go for the truth, you will miss the source...

Malo

Moatunu
Malo Moatunu

I must have missed this post of yours I would like to add on to it.

Tui Tonga had a daughter named Laufafaetoga she was married to both Lautala of Fiji & Tupaimatuna of Samoa. Laufafaetoga traveled to Samoa in search of a husband where she married Samoan Chief Tupa'imatuna she then became pregnant to the Samoan Chief Tupaimatuna. Her father Tui Tonga requested that she give birth in Tonga so she sailed back to Tonga but was blown off course to Fiji where she gave birth to her and Samoan Chief Tupa'imatuna 1st son named Vaasilifiti. While in Tonga Laufafatoga was unfaithful to her Samoan husband she ended up marrying famous Fijian Warrior Lautala and bore 3 children. Later Laufafaetoga ran away and returned back to her husband in Samoa and had another child by Samoan Chief Tupaimatuna.

This is where WAR begins after Laufafaetoga ran away and returned to Samoa the Fijian warrior Lautala wages WAR on SAMOA in search of his Wife. He occupied the islands of Manono and from there waged WAR.

Moatunu it is said that this Fijian Chief Lautala lived in Tonga. Is the island in Tonga named Lautala in Vava'u named after this Fijian Warrior?

Tefua-'a-Vaka-Lautala: the phrase was used in ancient times when the canoes gathered at the seaport of Lautala (Hâ'ano) to undertake an important work. This phrase means the gathering of skilled and experienced people (canoe builders) to undertake a tremendous and difficult task. COULD THIS TASK HAVE BEEN TO CONQUER SAMOA? Because Fijian Lautala invaded almost the same time Tui Tonga invaded its crazy.
Malo Uso

I have not come across the Laufafaetoga story and I thank you for sharing it. It certainly adds flesh to the bones of the accounts of how Fijians and Tongans got so closely connected to Manono particularly. I would love to trace who the Tu'i Tonga was at this time i.e. the father of Laufafaetoga. I would guess that her mother was Samoan given the Tu'i Tonga almost always married Samoan Taupou's. Perhaps this was one of the eight Tu'i Tonga's after 'Aho'eitu that not much is recorded or known about in Tonga?

I would say that Lautala in Tonga was probably named after Laucala in Fiji. The same as other places in Tonga that over the years have been "Tonganised" from Fiji e.g. Tungua, Lapaha, Mango, Nukunuku etc... I know there is a tiny island called Lautala in Vava'u but I don't think there is a place called Lautala in Ha'ano, Ha'apai.

I do know that there is a strong connection between Ha'ano and Samoa through the legend of the two sons of the 20th Tu'i Tonga Tatafu'eikimeimu'a who both went to Samoa to court a beautiful Taupou called Sina (I don't have her gafa yet, but am tracing it). These brothers were Ngana'eiki (ancestor of Malupo of 'Uiha) and Nganatatafu (ancestor of Tu'i Ha'angana of Ha'ano). Sina fell in love with the younger of the two, Nganatatafu who she eloped with and married. This union could be another link in the chain. Bearing in mind the known connection to Manono in Tonga that can be cross-referenced is the wife of the 15th Tu'i Tonga Talakaifaiki who was called Manuosoimauga, a name that is found in the Leiataua family of Manono as referenced earlier in Grainger's new book on the Ata chiefs in Hihifo.

All very interesting and complex!

Soifua

Moatunu
Malo Moatunu

Yes Lautala's original named is Laucala of Fiji. Not too sure which Tui Tonga was laufafatoga's dad but her mother was said to have been Fijian. True many Tui Tonga's married Taupou's of Samoa but then again many Samoan Chiefs married Tongan Kings daughters as well. Did the 13th Tui Tonga Tamatou issue any kids?

To finish the story of Lautala this Fijian warrior waged war against Samoa from the island of Manono. Lautala and his Warriors killed many Savaii Warriors but were defeated by Tupa'imatuna and other Samoan Warriors. It is said the famous Samoan Chief Saumaniafaese assisted Tupa'imatuna and casted his famous net between Manono & Savaii which stranded Lautala and his men to be slain and captured ending the War.
Malo uso

as far as tradition and oral histories relate, the 13th Tu'i Tonga Nuitamatou was a "fictitious King" and was in reality only a block of wood (tou), this could also be heliaki as other accounts suggest the possibility that this was an actual person, I doubt this though. The strange occurence is partly explained by the fact that the succession of title in the ancient Tu'i Tonga (later called Kauhala'uta) tradition was strictly from father to eldest son. It was not until the matai system and influence from Samoa was established in Tonga via the Tu'i Kanokupolu did it change to allow collateral lines to compete for titles (Siaosi Ilaiu, 2009). Eventually even influencing the 1000 year old unbroken succession traditions of the Tu'i Tonga title itself. This sacred tradition was "officially" broken by the 36th Tu'i Tonga Paulaho who was not the eldest son (he had an older brother and the true heir to the title called Ma'ulupekotofa, he eventually became Tu'i Tonga later). It was broken much earlier in the case of TT Niutamatou.

The reason for the fictitious block of wood becoming Tu'i Tonga is due to the sacred succession tradition and "law" as set in the ancient charter of Tangaloa 'Eitumatupu'a. When TT Tu'itatui died (some say killed) his eldest son to Latutama became Tu'i Tonga, this was TT Tala'atama who moved the ancient capital from Heketa to Mu'a. He did not rule for long because he died apparently without issue (he could also have been killed). To avoid breaking the line of succession and handing power and title to the descendants of Talafale the eldest brother of 'Ahoeitu (Tu'i Faleua/King of the second house - backup line), a block of wood was duly "installed" as the Tu'i Tonga and then it was announced that the TT Niutamatou had a son to succeed him to the title, this was of course the younger brother of Tala'atama called Tala'iha'apepe. He was the father of the 15th Tu'i Tonga Talakaifaiki who was said to have been expelled from 'Upolu by Tuna and Fata (of Malietoa fame).

Soifua

Moatunu
Thank you Moatunu

Dont know if you guys know but the most Ancient Legends of Samoa link Samoa & Fiji through WARS and Marriages and most of these legends are before the rise of Tui Tonga.

Such as the Ancient Samoan Legend of Vaea & Apaula.

Vaea, a Samoan high chief, was married to Apaula the daughter of Tui Fiti (King of Fiji). She was beckoned to return to Fiji by her ailing father and was accompanied by her seven brothers. On the way she was betrayed by her brothers who feasted on the couple's only son. On her return to Samoa she found her husband, broken-hearted and nearly completely turned to rock due to the death of their son also because he thought she was not going to return. Vaea then told her to seek out his brother who would wage vengeful war on the Fijians. This story leads to Vaea's brother waging war on the Fijians and killing all of Apaula's brothers.

NOTE:

In her grief she shed tears for her husband. From these tears of sorrow sprang a spring of water. This spring is today found in the village, Lalovaea (literally, underneath Vaea) and is called Loimata o Apaula (The Tears of Apaula).

Another Ancient Legend deals with Tagaloa of Manu'a and Tui Fiti in which Tui Fiti (Fiji) was married to the daughter of Tagaloa.
Malo uso

I have heard a version of the Vaea story you relate above in Tongan accounts and is very similar. Vaea as a title (or Kaukauloka is his kava name/hingoa fakatenetene) is also a chief of the Ha'a Havea (Sa Savea) clan in Tonga with his estatea in Houma in Tongatapu (AKA Mapu o Vaea). There is very strong Fijian connections in Houma and also links to Uvea. Houma warriors were feared in war and were also experts of the Kailao war dance imported from Uvea.

Is the Tagaloa of Manu'a connected at all to the Tagaloa title in Safune, Savai'i? I understand that the brothers Fune and Fotu were sons of Lafai. Savai'i is also known as Salafai. The sons of Lafai established Safotu and Safune. Lilomaiava is a high ranking Ao title with links to Safotu (and Palauli). Tagaloa is another high title from Safune.

I wonder if this Lafai is the same Lafai (later called Lafaipana or Lafai the stunted/dwarf) in Tongan accounts of Fasiapule's expedition to Savai'i to recover the shell of Sagone, belonging to his halfbrother Tu'i Tonga Tui'itatui? Fasiapule worked out an ancient riddle set by Lafai in order to recover the turtle shell. This is all heliaki for a number of significant events that occured during this era.

Soifua

Moatunu
Bula Masih Moatunu,

You may not be aware of the following site which traces the Tui Cakau (TC) line in Taveuni

http://uqconnect.net/~zzhsoszy/states/fiji/cakau.html

(cut and past into your browser if necessary)

Serial 8 on that page makes reference to a Tongan woman of rank named 'Tule' who was bethrothed to the TC , Ratu Goleanavanua (this was the guy who was close to Ma'afu). The oral tradition/history in Somosomo (Taveuni) says that Tule also had Samoan connexions thru her membership of the Tui Ha'anganna (TH) clan from Ha'ano and later, Mua (or vice versa?).

It is claimed that the TH (and 'Tule' in paticular) are direct descendants of the Tui Tonga and Tui Tonga Fefine (refer the link in question).

My extrapolations from your various postings on this thread are that Tule's Samoan connexion could be traced back to the Samoan Taupou, Sina, who married Nganatatafu (one of the sons of the 20th TT) - Sina and Nganatatafu are the ancestors of the TH clan of Ha'ano, as you claim.

So I guess in a cultural context, Tule's bethrothal to the TC (Goleanavanua) could be viewed in one sense as a strengthening of the TH links to th Ha'a Fale Fisi ...and in another sense, the marriage/bethrothal also reinforced Tule's position as a descendant of the TTF (Fefine) who by Tongan custom should be bethrothed to a Fijian high chief as TC (Goleanavanua) indeed was.

It appears to be a good example of the nuances and complexities involved in the Tongan (and Fijian) custom or practice of 'strategic marriages'. In this way the Tongans and Fijians kind of complemented and accommodated each other culturally.

Am I thinking along the right lines here?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

PS: If you look at that link , serial 9 also connects the current TC to Tongan nobility through Tupou Moeofo etc
Moatunu

I have learned a great amount from you but what I would like to address is the SAMOAN DYNASTY in Tonga known as the TUI KANOKUPOLU DYNASTY Kanokupolu or A'ano Upolu meaning FLESH OF UPOLU.

Samoan Chief Ama of Safata traveled and settled in Tonga and from what you have told me and from my research thousands of Samoans migrated along with Samoan Chief Ama. Samoan Chief Ama's daughter Limapo married a Tui Haatakalaua. There son was named Ngata and was established in HIHIFO as Tui Hihifo. The only Tongans that went with Ngata to establish him as Tui Hihifo was his brothers the rest SAMOANS.

The Samoans made Ngata a Samoan Chief on Tongan Soil gave him protectors, established his Fale Upolu, his FONO (Fale Haakili) & his Itu (District) as a separate KINGDOM in Tonga from what I learned a Samoan Kingdom at that.

It is written in History that without the support and help from SAMOANS the Samoan Tui Kanokupolu Dynasty would not have been successful.

Many of the Tui Kanokupolu's MATAPULE'S or HIGH CHIEFS installed to rule over various districts and villages in Tonga were all SAMOAN. This Samoan Dynasty in Tonga stretched Samoan Influence to all corners of Tonga in as little as 2 centuries.

Some Info:

-AKAUOLA:the toutai(navigator) of the king of Tonga. a member of the Ha'a Toutai. He is said to be of Samoan descent,the Samoan form of his title being La'auola. AKAUOLA and MOALA are related.

-HAUFANO: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Niuafo'ou.(**Haufano, I believe to be or is FAUFANO..a not so common a name, but of Manu'a connections...ties..origin)

-KAMA: a matapule title derived from the AMA chiefly title of Safata district, Upolu Island, Samoa. Filise Vaitaiki was the personal name of the Kama of 1921.

-LEHA: matapule to Jioeli Pangia(the man who probably would be Tui Tonga, if the office were not absorbed by the Tui Kanokupolu). Leha's functions are house building and boat building.
The first LEHA came from SAMOA. Compare Lehapoto and Lehauli

-MOALA: a toutai(navigator) to the Tui Kanokupolu. He is of reputed SAMOAN descent and related to AKAUOLA. Seat is in the Hihifo district, Tongatapu.

*MOTU'APUAKA: One of the two great matapules of the Tui Kanokupolu. He is of SAMOAN lineage.

-TAHIMATAKIMOANA: a matapule of the village of Uiha, Uiha Island, Ha'apai, serving chief Malupo. (Malupo is also stated to be of Samoan lineage)

-'UHATAFE: a matapule and carpenter to the Tui Tonga of SAMOAN origin.

-UHI: a matapule to ATA. for origin see VAENO.
(**Uhi and Va'eno are of Samoan origin).

-ULA: a navigator title. The origin of Ula is SAMOAN. His seat is at Neiafu in the Hihifo district, Tongatapu. The Tamaha's genealogies show a succession as follows; ULA to his son's son Likuohihifo, to his son Amini. The late Queen Takipo, the wife of King George Tupou II, was the daughter of an ULA.

-VA'ENO: a matapule to Tungi. Of SAMOAN origin. A Samoan woman in the train of Tohuia(Limapo...the mother of the first Tui Kanokupolu) gave birth to twins who became Uhi and Va'eno . Their names became titles for two lines of matapule. Uhi is matapule to ATA.)

Kamoto, an important matapule, is the head of Fale Hakili, House of Hakili, said to be a Samoan Origin. He was brought to Hihifo when Ngata was born. The Hakili derives from Tohuia's uncle 'ILI of Samoan Origin.

This is just some of the SAMOANS of the TUI KANOKUPOLU DYNASTY. This Samoan Dynasty ruled Tonga and eclipsed the Tui Tonga, Tui Ha'atakalaua and merged it back into one line and is currently ruling Tonga.
Uso

that is correct. The Tu'i Kanokupolu dynasty established the Matai system successfully in Tonga in less than two centuries (Siaosi Ilaiu) and they continue to dominate in the current Tupou dynasty. The oral accounts from Fonuamotu the first settlement area of the Samoans in Mu'a (present day village of Tatakamotonga) state that when Amalele's entourage from Manono and Safata, Tuamasaga arrived, their was over a thousand attendants, warriors, tufuga etc... accompanying his daughter Limapo (also known as Tohu'ia in Tonga). Their presence was such that it pressured the Hau (ruler of Tonga) at the time, Tu'i Ha'atakalaua Mo'unga'otonga to create a separate 'Ao or Tu'i title for his youngest son Ngata, son of Limapo.

The people of Mu'a so feared and were jealous of the Samoan settlers that they began mistreating their guests. Apparently, the Samoans from Safata were beating the locals in all manner of sports, boxing, wrestling, club-fighting, music, arts, dance etc... Fights started to break out between the locals and visitors. The Samoans remained calm and cool despite the many night raids, taunts, abuse and disruptive behaviour of the troublemaking locals and Amalele told his warriors to not retaliate but to "tata'amotoga" or just be alert and be wary of the Tongans. This is the origin of the name Tatakamotonga.

In the end, Mo'unga'otonga realised that he had to also create a Itu or district for the Samoans to settle or they might take over the capital Mu'a itself! He decreed that he would gift the entire Western end of Tongatapu to his youngest son Ngata and he would be installed as Tu'i Hihifo and Tu'i Ha'a Mo'unga (new dynasty). The title Tu'i Kanokupolu merged both of these earlier titles to become what it is now, the paramount title that eventually destroyed the Tu'i Tonga and Tu'i Ha'atakalaua's power and influence in Tongan politics to this day. The first title holder of the Tu'i Kanokupolu was Havea (Savea) Mataeletu'apiko, ancestor of all the Ha'a Havea (Sa Savea) Chiefs and subsequent title holders. The name Savea or Havea in Tonga was the name of the first Malietoa also known as Savea. This is because Amalele is of the same direct line as Malietoa Fua'oleto'elau a direct descendant from the male line to Malietoa Savea. Installing the Tu'i Kanokupolu title signalled that this was when the Matai system was firmly established first in Hihifo, then in central Tongatapu and then throughout Tonga. The leading clans who brought this about were the Ha'a Havea and Ha'a Ngata motu'a.

The influence of Samoa on the Tongan political scene occured over generations and took almost two centuried to complete through careful strategic marriages, perseverance, title creation and proliferation but most importantly, through the establishment of the Matai system as argued by Ilaiu in his recent published thesis. Most Tongans are unaware of this fact and some deny or choose not to find out more about it. This was Samoan "influence" as opposed to direct rule through military "conquest" through war, as there has never been outright civil-war on Tongan soil up to the time when Tupou Moheofo seized the Tu'i Kanokupolu title. The assassination of Tuku'aho sparked the first ever all-out civil war on Tongan soil.

Soifua

Moatunu
Moatunu, re Alia's history of Ngata. Is not this the same place of Kolovai now and the residence of the formerly titled Lavaka 'Ata? I forget the name of the community hall but it has the words 'Fale' and ''Ata' in it?
This is very very interesting indeed. Malo aupito Alia and Moatunu.
I am from Ha'apai and my great grandmother was Samoan. From my childish ears all I remember was that ggmother had sailed from Samoa with many others.
Your information is helping me to piece the story together.
BUT I must be honest. Growing up we (my family) used to be unsure of how to take the story of ggmother being a Samoan. It was like we were not 'pure' blood Tonga. The information above is giving my history real value.
Ofa'atu - Sione.
Malo tokoua, yes, Fale o Ata is also a tribute to one of the pre-eminent places in Samoa for the Sa-Malietoa called Faleata where Tuna, the younger brother of Malietoa Savea was sent to reside. His other brother Fata went to the Southern Coast of Tuamasaga and founded present day Safata where Amalele and the Tu'i Kanokupolu Chiefs can trace their ancestry. Kolovai can also be Samoanised as Olovai (similar to Olotele in Mu'a - residence of the Tu'i Tonga)...

I am the same with you, when I was younger I always thought the greatest thing was to be pure blooded Tongan. What I find now is that since I've discovered and studied my very close connections to Samoa and Fiji, it only makes my sense of self and my identity as a son of the Pacific stronger because of the sense of "place" and "connection" to my kainga Ha'amoa and Kainga Fisi. Pride is ok but if mis-directed can be very damaging as I have seen in our young Pacific people around the world... we can should focus on our similarities while embracing what makes us all unique.

Ofa atu

Moatunu

RSS

FORUM

Rights Vs Manners 12 Replies

Started by Loi Mateiwai in Relationships. Last reply by Jane 16 hours ago.

~* Dua Ga Na Serekali Me Baleta Na Noqu Viti Lomani *~ 4 Replies

Started by Ratu Sivoriano Masau in World Issues. Last reply by Jane 16 hours ago.

No Hope For Sevens Rugby Series Live!! 7 Replies

Started by Ratu Sivoriano Masau in World Issues. Last reply by mataiasi lutu yesterday.

Indigenous Landowners Be Warned!! 114 Replies

Started by Maciu Rosima Lomavatu in News Discussions. Last reply by Joni Mataivaludina on Wednesday.

Tu Vakarau Viti! 5 Replies

Started by Ratu Sivoriano Masau in World Issues. Last reply by Joni Mataivaludina on Wednesday.

15 Bills Passed In 5 Minutes!!!. 4 Replies

Started by Ratu Sivoriano Masau in World Issues. Last reply by mataiasi lutu Dec 11.

Tadre Na Veitalanoa Ni Tukutuku Vakailavo Ni 2015. 9 Replies

Started by Ratu Sivoriano Masau in World Issues. Last reply by Ratu Sivoriano Masau Dec 10.

Inter Faith - Is It Biblical? 76 Replies

Started by jones barks in World Issues. Last reply by Joni Mataivaludina Dec 10.

© 2014   Created by Matavuvale Admins.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service