Must We Observe the Law of Moses and the Sabbath Today?

Should Christians today keep Old Testament laws, such as the seventh-day Sabbath, circumcision, animal sacrifices, and holy days, or did Jesus remove or abolish that law so that we should only obey New Testament commands? What is the difference between moral and ceremonial laws, the Law of Moses and the Law of God? What day is the "Christian Sabbath" according to the gospel of Christ? Are the Law of Moses and the Ten Commands abrogated or still in effect? What law should we observe today? Should we today "remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy?"

Views: 1261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers  my Friend J. T Law..it was not me,looking from another angle..it was the same Paul the Apostle that wrote that letter to the Romans...now he was speaking to the Galatians in regards to the way they want to prioritise the law..have a read at Galatians chapter 3 and let us know of your personal views about the subect of Law and Grace...vinaka..

"The supervision of the Law" is like the supervision given by a tutor to a young child. We no longer need that kind of supervision . The Law teaches us the need for salvation. God's Grace gives us that salvation. The Old Testament still applies today. In it God reveals His nature, His will for humanity, His moral Laws, and His guidelines for living. But we cannot be saved by keeping those law.. We must receive Christ.....Galatians 3 : 23.."Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law , locked up until faith should be revealed..24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justfied by faith,25 Now faith has come,we are no longer under the supervision of the law...."

Vinaka...Cheers tale yani my friend.........JN..

bula tale Joe Nakuni,
once again, I did not say anything about keeping the Law in order to be saved.

This discussion topic by PEACE is simply asking, is the LAW of God still valid today or not.?

You cannot just use Galatian 3 to justify your point. It seems like you are leaning towards the theology of "Once Saved Always Saved".

Remember its the same Paul that says, "For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified”. (Ro 2:13)

Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.         ( Romans 3:31)

how is the Law established? by keeping it.

which agrees with what Jesus says:

"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven" ( Matt 5:19)

in James 1:25  25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

2 John 1:6 This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.

your see even though you are saved it does'nt mean the God's Law no longer valids for you.

Heres my point,
I'm NOT keeping God's Law to be Saved, but im keeping it because He has already Saved me. And this LAW keeping is out of Love for what God did for me on Calvary. God's LAW is all about your Love towards God and also towards man.

If you link Galation 3 with the rest of Pauls letters, and the letters from the Apostales, you will also come to the same point as iam.

to conclude:

James 2:14-2614 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[d] works, and I will show you my faith by my[e] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[f] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[g] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Whats works is this?....upholding Gods Holy LAW....the Works of Faith

my friend the God's Law will always be there.

vinaka,

take it easy, God Bless.

There you go again....Cheers tale yani my friend J.T Law..Vinaka..I don't want to be taken for a ride...your initial postings of Law and Grace works together  hand in hand,,,and as I've told you I did not give you my angle of view but Paul the Apostles' perspection about Law and Grace in Galatians chapter 3..I am asking you Bro J t Law.what is your personal view,and now you tell me not to use Galatians ch.3 to justify my point...sorry I did not have a point Bro,,,, it was yours all the time....hahahaha..Now I am satisfied that you are a Law Keeper...Now I rest my case..which proves you are another Grand Son..of "FAlse Prophetess..Ellen..G .White...Thats it for me..I have enough of the ride...Be at Peace with your Doctrines...vinaka...Moce...JN

Bula tale JT Law..Forget about the Theology of " Once Saved ,always saved.." just take God's Word as God's Word..through the Apostle Paul addressing 'the Foolish Galatians in Gal.ch, 3.Only JT Law is allowed to use other Scriptures,while I cannot use Galatians chapter 3...which begins "You foolish Galatians! who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you. Did you receive the Spirit by observing the Law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you trying to attain your goal by human effort ? 4 Have you suffered too much for nothing?if it really was for nothing ? 5 Does God give you His Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law,or because you believe what you heard..?

6 Consider Abraham " He believed God,and it was credited unto him as righteousness 7 Understand,then, that those who believe are children of Abraham..8 The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the Gospel in advance to Abraham. " All nations will be blessed through you.9 So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith...

10 All who rely on observing the Law are under a curse, for it is written , " Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law " 11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the Law, because the righteous will live by faith..!2 The law is not based on faith, on the contrary "The man who does this things will live by them. Christ redeemed us by the Curse of the Law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written " Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham, might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit....

And that is God's WORD my friend..JT Law...vinaka..Just Take..it easy with the Law..and get in the process to receive the promise of the Spirit.....BE BLESSED....JN.

bula bro, Since you only using the book of Galatians, Do you have any idea why Paul wrote those letters to the Galatians??....What was the background(context) of this book.??...
...I guess you dont have a single idea...
qoute: ".have a read at Galatians chapter 3 and let us know of your personal views about the subect of Law and Grace..."unqoute
Bro, i suggest you do a background study on the book of Galatians before stating a conclusion. Have you read and studied the entire book of Galatians?...from your comment it seems like you havent.
Bro, my qoutes are from the Bible. We are using the same Bible, arn't we?

i have qouted from different books of the New Testaments.
And you only using Galatians 3. Have you read all of Paul's letter?

if you do have some initiative you would have read the entire book of Galatians.just a chapter over from Chapter 3 is Chapter 5.
Galatians 5:13-1513 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.[b] 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!
Galatians 5:19 -21 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

here another text from Paul:
Romans 7:25 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

And Jesus made it simple by saying; "If you love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15)
"If you love me..." - to accept Jesus as your personal Saviour and friend
"...keep my commandments" - to uphold/maintain God's commandments in love

please dont tell me that you dont believe in other chapters of Galatians or other Books of the Bible. everything i'm saying here is from the Word of God.
cheers,

@ J.T Law..We are not here to argue, we are just uplifting one another with the depth and revelation knowledge,God Has Blessed each and everyone of us to bless others....Warai e ke  na veiba Tamana,kei na vakasota kila,e teri dua na ka e kauta mai veikeda....oqori na`nodra i valavala ga na Varisi....Always having a`form of Godliness without the power....You are sharing the word of God....I am sharing Paul's letter to the Galatians..in chapter 3...and The Holy Spirit will convict each and everyone of us of The Truth in our individuals' Revelation  Knowledge....You can study the whole Bible and know it by heart,sorry,without the "Unction"of the Holy Spirit...you are just sharing empty words...no truth and no substance....

I am just bringing in Galatians chapter 3,because of how you try to interpret, LAW and GRACE....and that chapter expresses Law and Grace very well,according to GOD'S WILL and HOLY WORD....Amen...Remember "Thou shalt not Add,or Take away....GOD"S WORD..interprets ITSELF.....we are mere humans and are liars in many ways...DO NOT TAKE ME FOR A RIDE....you are touching a different topic altogether...Liberty..in Jesus.......Sa rauta ya na nomu i vakamacala kece qori..kauta i valenivo..na vanua o tomika mai kina..na vanua e vuni tu mai kina o nomu source........sa rauta..lei moce..........vinaka...JN..

Vinaka JT Law

Matata vakaoti na nomuni vakamacala. Me vaka ga e tukuna nai Vola Tabu... "vakalailai eke, vakalailaI e kea" ena nomu dau wasea na dina.

E sa qaseqase,qai lawaki ca,na tevoro,na Tui ni vei vecei kei na vei lari,na kaisi,e kila vinaka na yacana..e basika sara mai,ni sa cavuti tiko na nona dela ni yavu...E vinakata me basika tale mai me mai vakacawiri taki keda tale...me vuni tu mai e dakuna na i le vakadomobula ni LASU...sa RAUTA MADA.......I will put your head under my feet..in the MIghty Name of JESUS....!!

1 John 2:7-8
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning. 8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. (KJV)

1 John 2:7-8
7 Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment for you; rather it is an old one you have had from the very beginning. This old commandment—to love one another—is the same message you heard before. 8 Yet it is also new. Jesus lived the truth of this commandment, and you also are living it. For the darkness is disappearing, and the true light is already shining. (NLT)

Another important mark of true believers is love for the brethren. John says that this is not a new commandment which he is writing, but an old commandment which they had had from the beginning. In other words, the Lord Jesus had taught His disciples to love one another from the very beginning of His earthly ministry.

The Gnostics were always parading their teachings as being new. But the apostle urges his readers to test everything by the teaching of the Lord Jesus when He was here on earth. There is always the danger of drifting away from that which was in the beginning. 1 John says, “Get back to the beginning, and you will know what is true.”

Yet this commandment is not only an old commandment, but there is a sense in which it is also new. When the Lord Jesus was here, He not only taught His disciples to love one another, but He gave them a living example of what He meant. His life was characterized by love for others. The commandment was thus true in Him when He was here on earth. But now there is a sense in which the Old Commandment is new. In this dispensation, it is not only true in the Lord Jesus, but in believers also. These Christians had formerly been heathens, living in hatred and passion. Now they illustrated and embodied the great law of love in their lives.

Thus the darkness is passing away whenever men receive the light of the gospel. The darkness has not all vanished because many have not come to Christ, but Christ, the true light, is already shining, and whenever sinners turn to Him they are saved, and henceforth love their fellow believers.[1]

1 (2:7) The critical (NU) text omits the second “from the beginning.”

[1]MacDonald, W., & Farstad, A. (1997, c1995). Believer's Bible Commentary : Old and New Testaments (1 Jn 2:7). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

@ Joe Bose...vinaka vakalevu...ia me vakarusai tiko mada ga i liu o koya na i liuliu ni yalo velavela e vakasesei tiko ,ke warai e mai iro la qo,lala tu na vale,samaki vinaka tu,na lei kacivi ratou tale mai e lewe vitu,me da se baci mai cawiri....vinaka vakalevu na kauwai e na vei Vosa Ni Kalou e so...emeni..

We  came to a conclusion in a previous discussion,concerning the same topic that...Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets..In the Book of Hebrews,Paul says that the Old Covenant is Jesus concealed..The New Covenant is Jesus revealed..

Thats the reason why He said He did not come to destroy the Law but to fulfill..Yes He actually came to fulfill it because the Law was the shadow of Him..The fullness of all God's Word and the fullness of God is Jesus Christ......Amen...

Sa kena tikini Vola Tabu sara ga qori ni sa biuta mai @ Joe Bose...sa da veilomani ga...sa ra lotu tiko mada ga na Siga Vakarauwai...sa da Siga Tabu ga e na veisiga..me rawa ni Cecere tiko ga o Jisu...ka tiko ga e ra na i Vakaro e Tini......vinaka tale vaka levu.......STAY BLESSED....JN...

Is the Sabbath Binding on Christians Today?

by John MacArthur

It is believed that the Old Testament regulations governing Sabbath observances are ceremonial, not moral, aspects of the law. As such, they are no longer in force, but have passed away along with the sacrificial system, the Levitical priesthood, and all other aspects of Moses' law that prefigured Christ. Here are the reasons we hold this view.

1. In Colossians 2:16-17, Paul      explicitly refers to the Sabbath as a shadow of Christ, which is no longer      binding since the substance (Christ) has come. It is quite clear in those      verses that the weekly Sabbath is in view. The phrase "a festival or      a new moon or a Sabbath day" refers to the annual, monthly, and      weekly holy days of the Jewish calendar (cf. 1 Chronicles 23:31; 2      Chronicles 2:4, 31:3; Ezekiel 45:17; Hosea 2:11). If Paul were referring      to special ceremonial dates of rest in that passage, why would he have      used the word "Sabbath?" He had already mentioned the ceremonial      dates when he spoke of festivals and new moons.
  2. The Sabbath was the sign to      Israel of the Mosaic Covenant (Exodus 31:16-17; Ezekiel 20:12; Nehemiah      9:14). Since we are now under the New Covenant (Hebrews 8), we are no      longer required to observe the sign of the Mosaic Covenant.
  3. The New Testament never      commands Christians to observe the Sabbath.
  4. In our only glimpse of an      early church worship service in the New Testament, the church met on the      first day of the week (Acts 20:7).
  5. Nowhere in the Old Testament      are the Gentile nations commanded to observe the Sabbath or condemned for      failing to do so. That is certainly strange if Sabbath observance were      meant to be an eternal moral principle.
  6. There is no evidence in the      Bible of anyone keeping the Sabbath before the time of Moses, nor are there      any commands in the Bible to keep the Sabbath before the giving of the law      at Mt. Sinai.
  7. When the Apostles met at the      Jerusalem council (Acts 15), they did not impose Sabbath keeping on the      Gentile believers.
  8. The apostle Paul warned the      Gentiles about many different sins in his epistles, but breaking the      Sabbath was never one of them.
  9. In Galatians 4:10-11, Paul      rebukes the Galatians for thinking God expected them to observe special      days (including the Sabbath).
  10. In Romans 14:5, Paul forbids      those who observe the Sabbath (these were no doubt Jewish believers) to      condemn those who do not (Gentile believers).
  11. The early church fathers,      from Ignatius to Augustine, taught that the Old Testament Sabbath had been      abolished and that the first day of the week (Sunday) was the day when      Christians should meet for worship (contrary to the claim of many      seventh-day Sabbatarians who claim that Sunday worship was not instituted      until the fourth century).
  12. Sunday has not replaced      Saturday as the Sabbath. Rather the Lord's Day is a time when believers      gather to commemorate His resurrection, which occurred on the first day of      the week. Every day to the believer is one of Sabbath rest, since we have      ceased from our spiritual labor and are resting in the salvation of the      Lord (Hebrews 4:9-11).

So while we still follow the pattern of designating one day of the week a day for the Lord's people to gather in worship, we do not refer to this as "the Sabbath."

John Calvin took a similar position. He wrote,

There were three reasons for giving this [fourth] commandment: First, with the seventh day of rest the Lord wished to give to the people of Israel an image of spiritual rest, whereby believers must cease from their own works in order to let the Lord work in them. Secondly, he wished that there be an established day in which believers might assemble in order to hear his Law and worship him. Thirdly, he willed that one day of rest be granted to servants and to those who live under the power of others so that they might have a relaxation from their labor. The latter, however, is rather an inferred than a principal reason.

As to the first reason, there is no doubt that it ceased in Christ; because he is the truth by the presence of which all images vanish. He is the reality at whose advent all shadows are abandoned. Hence St. Paul (Colossians 2:17) affirms that the Sabbath has been a shadow of a reality yet to be. And he declares else-where its truth when in the letter to the Romans, chapter 6:8, he teaches us that we are buried with Christ in order that by his death we may die to the corruption of our flesh. And this is not done in one day, but during all the course of our life, until altogether dead in our own selves, we may be filled with the life of God. Hence, superstitious observance of days must remain far from Christians.

The two last reasons, however, must not be numbered among the shadows of old. Rather, they are equally valid for all ages. Hence, though the Sabbath is abrogated, it so happens among us that we still convene on certain days in order to hear the word of God, to break the [mystic] bread of the Supper, and to offer public prayers; and, moreover, in order that some relaxation from their toil be given to servants and workingmen. As our human weakness does not allow such assemblies to meet every day, the day observed by the Jews has been taken away (as a good device for eliminating superstition) and another day has been destined to this use. This was necessary for securing and maintaining order and peace in the Church.

As the truth therefore was given to the Jews under a figure, so to us on the contrary truth is shown without shadows in order, first of all, that we meditate all our life on a perpetual Sabbath from our works so that the Lord may operate in us by his spirit; secondly, in order that we observe the legitimate order of the Church for listening to the word of God, for administering the sacraments, and for public prayers; thirdly, in order that we do not oppress inhumanly with work those who are subject to us. [From Instruction in Faith, Calvin's own 1537 digest of the Institutes of the Christian Religion, sec. 8, "The Law of the Lord"].

For further study:
D.A. Carson, ed., From Sabbath to Lord's Day (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1982).

http://www.gospeloutreach.net/sabbath.html

Question: "Is salvation by faith alone, or by faith plus works?"

Answer: This is perhaps the most important question in all of Christian theology. This question is the cause of the Reformation, the split between the Protestant churches and Catholic Church. This question is a key difference between biblical Christianity and most of the “Christian” cults. Is salvation by faith alone, or by faith plus works? Am I saved just by believing in Jesus, or do I have to believe in Jesus and do certain things?

The question of faith alone or faith plus works is made difficult by some hard-to-reconcile Bible passages. Compare Romans 3:28 5:1and Galatians 3:24 with James 2:24. Some see a difference between Paul (salvation is by faith alone) and James (salvation is by faith plus works). Paul dogmatically says that justification is by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-9), while James appears to be saying that justification is by faith plus works. This apparent problem is answered by examining what exactly James is talking about. James is refuting the belief that a person can have faith without producing any good works (James 2:17-18). James is emphasizing the point that genuine faith in Christ will produce a changed life and good works (James 2:20-26). James is not saying that justification is by faith plus works, but rather that a person who is truly justified by faith will have good works in his/her life. If a person claims to be a believer, but has no good works in his/her life, then he/she likely does not have genuine faith in Christ (James 2:14, 17, 20, 26).

Paul says the same thing in his writings. The good fruit believers should have in their lives is listed in Galatians 5:22-23. Immediately after telling us that we are saved by faith, not works (Ephesians 2:8-9), Paul informs us that we were created to do good works (Ephesians 2:10). Paul expects just as much of a changed life as James does: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come” (2 Corinthians 5:17). James and Paul do not disagree in their teaching regarding salvation. They approach the same subject from different perspectives. Paul simply emphasized that justification is by faith alone while James put emphasis on the fact that genuine faith in Christ produces good works.

http://www.gotquestions.org/salvation-faith-alone.html

RSS

FORUM

SA LALA DINA NA KORO QO - DID FACEBOOK KILLED MATAVUVALE? 11 Replies

Started by NiteDrox in News Discussions. Last reply by Tomasi Vakameau Sep 3.

Decision Making-Why Is It So Hard To Decide? 9 Replies

Started by anamaria in World Issues. Last reply by Ratu Jonetani Tavadroka Sep 2.

Veidigidigi e Viti e na yabaki 2018. 31 Replies

Started by viliame nabobo in World Issues. Last reply by Ratu Jonetani Tavadroka Feb 12.

Who Is This Beast Mentioned In Revelation 13:18? - 666! 252 Replies

Started by UDDY in Spirit and Self. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jul 2, 2018.

Jesus Did Not Rise From The Dead On Sunday 150 Replies

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in News Discussions. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jun 21, 2018.

World War III 2 Replies

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in World Issues. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jun 21, 2018.

Will Iran Succeed in Syria?

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in World Issues May 14, 2018.

How Can Fiji Sevens Team Improve its performance against the two Giant South Africa and Enland. 16 Replies

Started by Tomasi Vakameau in Sports. Last reply by Tomasi Vakameau Apr 30, 2018.

© 2019   Created by Matavuvale Admins.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service