"I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it."

"So, after 2,000 years, how do you think he's doing?"

I can't resist asking that question whenever I'm studying Matthew 16 with a group of believers. There we find the only recorded instructions Jesus gave to his disciples about the church. "I will build my church,
and the gates of hell will not prevail against it." He didn't ask them
to do it. He didn't give them a blueprint of an organization. He simply
said he would build his church and it would be strong enough to
withstand any assault by darkness.

So it only seems natural to assess how he's doing. If he's been at it for almost 2,000 years, what do we have to show for it? I've asked that of all kinds of people, even at pastoral conventions. When I do, you
can feel the tension in the room. People shift awkwardly, a few chuckle
nervously. They know better than to say he hasn't done well, but they
also know the church is fragmented by division, scandalized by
immorality, vilified for its arrogance, exposed by its misplaced
priorities and far from replicating the ministry Jesus modeled for us in
the Gospels.

We either have to conclude that Jesus hasn't done an exceptional job, or consider that there is a vast difference between what he calls church and what we do

By Wayne Jacobsen

Views: 689

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the institution we call church regardless of denomination the church Jesus is building??
The Bible should never be read out of context...to understand the meaning of a verse, you should read the previous and the next verses...or if so the previous and the next chapter....you cannot pull out a verse or a line from a chapter and conclude thats what the entire Chapter is talking about...cmonn

i believe you quoting from Matthew 16:8, which reads- And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

If you read the next verse after that , Jesus said, "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven"
...Jesus didnt say "I will give onto the Church the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven"... no, He wasn't referring to the Church as a congregation, Jesus was merely talking about Individuals as a Church.

from my understanding is that, when Jesus said those word, He meant the Hearts of people...If a person truely accept Jesus into his Life and believe he is the son of God who died for his sins, then he will have nothing to fear in the face of evil...

in verse 24 says - Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
verse 28- For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

it clearly states if a man want to follow Jesus he have to deny himself,(meaning only Jesus can save you) and take up his cross and follow Jesus. And in verse 28, Jesus said, when He returns with the glory of The Heavenly Father, he will reward every man...it doesnt say he will reward the Church...he said he will reward each individual for his/hers works...
one last thing...
Going to heaven is done individually, not by family, or groups of people...and if you think attending Church Service on Sundays or Saturday will save you,think again....Jesus looks into the heart, coz thats where His Church is, if its not there, well too bad...

thats all from me...:)
Amen JT love the sharing......God bless.
Thanks bro Taber ..... dua ga a qou nanuma and im not saying that it is the right one - 'a ga ni veiwasei. Kaya ga o ira a kena dau that in Greek, the name Peter, is 'Petros', meaning a single stone. But ROCK in Greek is 'Petra', which means the solid, immovable bed-rock. "CHURCH" is "ecclesia", those called out, the fellowship of believers, the organized society of Christ, the kingdom of heaven on earth.
Ia, different churches have forwarded their own interpretations, ia omu au bau va'abauta to'a is this - in verse 16, Peter declares, "thou art Christ, the Son of the Living God". Christ being the Son of God becomes the ROCK or Foundation the church is built on. Ties in with Psalm 118:22 & Eph 2:20 declaring that Christ is the chief corner-STONE.
Therefore, Jesus builds His Church based on individuals confessing & believing that HE is the ROCK - the Son of the Living God. So as interpreted in Greek, Jesus's Church or Ecclesia, are individual persons from every nation tribe & language, who have made the same declaration as Peter did in Matt 16. SO its not really a particular denomination as some may claim coz reality is, all our christian denomination SUCK !!! na veiqedravu, veidabui, veilasutaki, veidusi etc etc e sega ni ka vou ena veimatalotu kece !! If Christ meant a specific denomination, then it would be the PERFECT DENOMINATION - but is there one?

therefore, the church that Jesus is building (founded on HIM, the bedrock, the sure-foundation, the Chief cornerstone) is made up of individual persons or believers. It can be you, your family, members of your church and even members of 'that church/denomination' you dont like so much. God looks at the heart folks. And i think Jesus is doing well as more & more individuals are coming to HIM each n everyday.
Vinaka Matt
Interesting read....vinaka.

Another perspective...
Matthew 16: 13 - 19

13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jesus responded to Peter knowing fully well that He had never explicitly taught Peter and the other disciples the fullness of His identity, and He recognized that God had sovereignly opened Peter’s eyes and revealed to him who He (Jesus) really was.
God had given Peter a revelation and Jesus responded to his CONFESSION. Peter's confession of Christ as Messiah poured from him, a heart-felt declaration of his personal faith in Jesus. It is this personal faith in Christ which is the hallmark of the true Christian. Those who have placed their faith in Christ, as Peter did, are the church.
It is Peter's confession of the revelation God gave to him was the rock that the church was to be built on.
God will only build His church when we receive from Him revelations and which we, through our faith in God, confess or speak forth. What we as children of the most high God confess is very powerful. That is why the Bible says in Proverbs 18:21 ... Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits

Our confession can build - it also can destroy. That is also why it is very important for a man of God to receive Revelations and Visions from God, because that will be His purpose and which His man of God will be declaring/ confessing/preaching ....that confession is what God acts upon. We need to confess what God reveals to us - and not what we think God wants. We will be able to speak things into existence only, and only if, it was a revelation from God.
Because of Peter's confession, Jesus said in verse 19 above, He will give Peter the keys of the kingdom of heaven.....
The body of Christ will be built upon the confessions/declarations of what God reveals to his people.

..... noqu rai...

RSS

FORUM

SA LALA DINA NA KORO QO - DID FACEBOOK KILLED MATAVUVALE? 11 Replies

Started by NiteDrox in News Discussions. Last reply by Tomasi Vakameau Sep 3.

Decision Making-Why Is It So Hard To Decide? 9 Replies

Started by anamaria in World Issues. Last reply by Ratu Jonetani Tavadroka Sep 2.

Veidigidigi e Viti e na yabaki 2018. 31 Replies

Started by viliame nabobo in World Issues. Last reply by Ratu Jonetani Tavadroka Feb 12.

Who Is This Beast Mentioned In Revelation 13:18? - 666! 252 Replies

Started by UDDY in Spirit and Self. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jul 2, 2018.

Jesus Did Not Rise From The Dead On Sunday 150 Replies

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in News Discussions. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jun 21, 2018.

World War III 2 Replies

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in World Issues. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jun 21, 2018.

Will Iran Succeed in Syria?

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in World Issues May 14, 2018.

How Can Fiji Sevens Team Improve its performance against the two Giant South Africa and Enland. 16 Replies

Started by Tomasi Vakameau in Sports. Last reply by Tomasi Vakameau Apr 30, 2018.

© 2019   Created by Matavuvale Admins.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service