You are invited to share and pen your ideas, views or opinions that will facilitate/assist our country back to democracy. All positive and/or negative ideas and comments to steer us back to the road of democracy are welcome.

Whichever way one looks at our current situation back home, democracy has been completely raped. The rape of democracy in Fiji is a virtual degradation of the populus of Fiji. Their human rights are being deprived:

1. the right to decide their government;
2. who they want to represent them;
3. their right to free assembly;
4. free protest;
5. free to organise into groups so that they can talk about what is pertinent to their daily lives;
6. protest on issues they do not agree with....with no fear of intimidation from anybody.

With this military regime in place, the concept of freedom per the Constitution is a total myth!

And, we, the people of Fiji need to come together and be vehement about our total disagreement with the military regime. So give us liberty or death! The reality of the issue is that democracy in Fiji has been raped...from top to bottom...left to right....inside and out and vice versa!

Here we have a military regime that talks about freedom to the people and yet the very same military regime randomly arrest people, torture them, inflict unnecessary harrassment and emotional stress to those that seem a threat to them. The military regime talks about racial unity.......the communal concept of togetherness and yet Fiji is far more racially divided today than it ever was.

The so-called advisors, viz-a-viz, John Samy, these are rejects from their adopted countries and yet they are being rewarded with exuberant amount(s) of money by these rogue military regime who have no idea what they are doing. Lying to the international community does not augur well with this interim government and yet the interim Prime Minister continuously talks with a forked tongue when addressing international issues. The ministers talk about internal securities as if Fiji is going to be invaded.

All around it is clearly seen that the economy is in tatters and the Constitution is just a useless piece of paper. The rule of law is as what the military regime wants it to be.

The above are just some of my views (from a pro-democracy viewpoint). But, do not let that deter you from penning your comments if you share otherwise.

So, let us come together and voice our views/comments, whether they be for or against the military regime and have a very healthy discussion here so that in the end we can factually understand what our role is, what we need to do and how we can come up with ideas to help restore democracy back in our beloved Fiji!

Please feel free to write what you like or dislike about the military regime. Be sincere and honest about your thoughts, without getting personal or spiteful.

Kindly note, this "topic" will expire as soon as we have an election.

Views: 860207

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

The ten thousandth reason why Peter Foster would say 'consultation would have been important' before the name 'Fijian' was used.

Who has the right to be called "Fijian"?

Posted Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:02pm AEDT

Fiji's mainly indigenous party is backing a call for the word "Fijian" to be reserved only for the nation's Indigenous people.

Three years ago, the coup-installed military government ruled that all citizens be referred to as "Fijian" regardless of ethnicity.

Since then, the word "iTaukei", which doesn't distinguish between Indigenous Fijians and other Fijians, has been used in all official documents.

But recently two of Fiji's most senior traditional leaders, Ro Teimumu Kepa and Ratu Naiqama Lalabalavu, have called for the term "Fijian" to only be used for Indigenous people.

The Indigenous SODELPA Party is backing that call.

"The word that could be used for everybody in Fiji would be the "Fiji Islanders" which combines us all [...] SODELPA does not believe that any use of terms like that need to be imposed on the people", SODELPA spokesman Dr Tupeni Baba told Pacific Beat.

"We are being democratic in our views on this particular issue, because the belief of the regime that whatever they force and impose should be followed by everybody is utterly ridiculous," Dr Baba said.

But Fiji's biggest Hindu religious organisation disagrees, saying the rights of Indigenous people are entrenched in Fiji and there is no need for them to insist on exclusive use of the term "Fijian".

""Fijian" is for every citizen of this country and this is what it should be. They should not try to own that word. [...] All Fijian citizens should be known as "Fijian"", the general secretary of the Sanatan Dharam, Vijendra Prakash said.

"I think their claim that Fijian should belong to them is not what will be acceptable to most members of the community in Fiji [...] Other members of the community also want to enjoy the ownership right of this nation", Mr Prakash said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-28/anwho-are-fijians/5050970

So many confusion.

@Master

Dina, ke a caka beka na veitalanoa kei na veivakameyautaki mai na matai ni gauna sa wali makawa na leqa. Na veitalanoa oqo ena taura tiko e dua gauna balavu.

sa kena gauna qo me da sa qaqarauni kina na kawai taukei. O ira na itaukei I Aust era sa minorities tu ina nodra vanua dina. Me da kakua ni qai minorities na kawa itaukei dina ina noda vanua. Me ra kakua ni suguta vei keda na veiyaca eso e noda dina ga. Au na sega ni lako I Idia qai lai tukuna kina niu Indian, na kequ irairai e sega ni vaka na Idia. Na noqui vakarau kei na itovo ena sega ni tautavata kei na nodra baleta ni o au se itaukei tikoga i noqu vanua. O ira talega ni ra lako mai valagi era na kaya "I'm Fijian", era na veilecayaki kina na so tale na mata tamata baleta na kedra irairai ena vaka tu ga na kai idia......sa vinaka ga me ra kaya "I'm Indian" but born in Fiji.........sa dri yani........

amelina nasova.

Au kerekere yani mo kua ni leqataka na yaca e vakayagataki.Meda cuqena ga na kena valataki na dina,dodonu kei na savasava ni Veiliutaki.Me da vakauqeti ira na noda mera vakasamataka ka vakasaqara na sala ni veivuke ni kena vakatoboicaketaki na veiliutaki nei  Bainimarama.

E na loma ni 6 na yabaki sa oti,e sega ni tubucake na i lavo ni veivakacokotaki ni bula me baleti ira na Tauvanua.E dinau yarayara o Bainimarama,na kena i lutua eda sa bula e na bula ka waraka na veivuke ka vakavuna na noda bula vucesa.

Kamikamica na vosa ia na saumi Dinau e na vakaleqa na bula ni lewenivanua.O Bainimarama kei ira na sotia bau wili kina na i lawalawa kanaloto era volitaki keda ka veimavolotaka na bula ni Taukei.Era kana ka mamau ka guileca ni naki dina ni veitaqomaki.

Laivi ira mera valataka na yaca...o keda na usotu ni noda bula meda taukena na vanua kei na i qoloqoli ka wasea vakatautauvata na uro ni Qele.2014 e na sega ni walia na noda leqa...2013 na yabaki ni tu yavala...oqo na noda i tavi yadua.Sa dri yani.

Io ka dina sara Mr Sireli.

Vijendra Prakash.

May I say this first,if you are born in Fiji it does not give you the right of ownership of our Nation.Taukeis or Natives referred to by early explorers are custodians of the land that they settled in before the arrivals of what we termed as foreigners.As the case for Fiji Girimiteers they were the third wave who came as  Indenture Labourers for the Sugarcane Industry.

One thing is clear that those of us born in Fiji are proud to call ourselves as Fiji Citizens  because of our birthrights.Ownership is an emotive word used in the context of Capitalism to promote Individualism introduced in Fiji since 1874 by the British Administration.Taukeis since their arrival have always survive in doing things communally in their villages.

We as Taukeis and our chiefs put great emphasis on all Land,as custodians for the future generations.That is our greatest asset and imbued in us to protect it and not for Sale as a commodity.Only Freeholds  are for Sale and all Native Land are leased on  our behalf.It is of gteat regret that Taukei cannot put their claims on Freehold that were bought using illegal means.Surprise!Surprise! those with money are now buying all Freeholds and some villages have lost out.This Illegal Military Rule by the Dictator Bainimarama has added a dent in the detriment of the Taukeis.The Hawaiians have lost out as Polynesians under US Rule.

Aborigines in Australia,First Nations in Canada,Indians in the US are battling to regain lost lands.In USA everyone is an American Citizens and then to identify themselves as people some are Latinoes,Afro-Americans,Cuban Americans,Italian-Americans etcetc.They citizens of their Country and they have no claim of ownership for the land but only the items they have bought with thier own money.

Virendra,my question to you is this,as a secretary of the Sanatan Dharam,which side of the fence you are standing with regards to the present situation in Fiji.You can all claim your citizen birthrights,any claim of ownership right of Fiji is still a debatable subject for the 21st Century.

At the present moment Iam  happy to use Indo-Fijians,as Fiji Citizens,Fijian and Taukei are used as Administrative/Organisational purposes on the lines of RACE AND RELIGION TO CLASSIFY THE DIFFERENCES to unify us a people of our great Nation,Fiji.

In conclusion,Virendra Prakash,I hope that I have not muddied the water,the present Political Situation as the result of 20years of Coup de tat mentality is hindering our progress to build a Nation for ONE PEOLE,RELIGION BASED ON LOVE FOR HUMANITY AND PEACE.

The Challenge is Great for ALL,especially to Educate the Chidren as Future Wealth Builders and put their Claims for Ownership.

Past independent, since birth and even at school everyone in Fiji were taught there were the 3 main race category in Fiji. Fijians, Indians and Other. Years comes and go until Bai comes along and decided to claim the name for good or for worse but one thing everyone knows its propaganda based on lied coup strategy.

Cut the story short the indigenous have done a tremendous jobs over the years to maintain a consistent good name against theirs. Not to say the others didn't but the point is, luckily we haven't call ourselves Indians which would be the worse case scenario. Points taken Mark, Chindia in the Pacific...lol

Unfortunately Fijians have to give away their by force is the concerning point here it seems. 

I think the Australian Government is more than happy to have Peter Foster out of Australia (good ridden), let not forget that this man have some pending cases with the Fiji Police and the Mr Ravi Narayan should act now, he was still under investigation when the Fiji Military assisted him to escape from Fiji after he told them tons of lies (allegations against the Qarase government). His easy access back into the country is no surprise!!!... as the election is just around the corner next year, I am 101% sure that very soon we will hear some media releases from this criminal with some bullshit stories against the oppositions of the current regime.

What is wrong with him?? Why does he keep coming back to Fiji?? There are so may other countries that he can run away to....Why the Fiji Islands??..Kind of weird aye!

He has blood ties in Kiuva - con-artists. 

Gender harrassment an issue for Fiji woman candidate

Updated 30 October 2013, 9:19 AEST

A young woman who's announced her intention to stand in the Fiji elections has been receiving harassment - including threats of rape - on social media sites.

Presenter: Geraldine Coutts

Speaker: Roshika Deo who plans to stand as an independent in Fiji's elections next year

DEO: There's a lot of objections based on the fact that perhaps of my age, my gender, and there's also a few sentiments being expressed because of my ethnicity. So I think it's a combination of factors, and a lot of it is generally expected. I mean we heard women candidates or women politicians speak about their experiences, which are very similar, but I suppose there's a new way of harassment with the presence of social media, which on its own is becoming a way that people are using to express hate speech.

COUTTS: And looking at some of the comments on Facebook appear to be gender-based, gender bias, this is one of the comments, as usual she blames patriarchy for everything, seriously can't she come up with a better line or slogan. And another, since your entire campaign is based on a crusade to save women from this still mysterious discrimination that exists in our society, the onus is on you to tell us what it is exactly that you're talking about. So a lot of gender-based, so I'm guessing you're campaigning for women and the rights of women?

DEO: Well that is one of the areas that we're focussing on, be the change campaign is focussing on women and children. It's definitely one of the main areas. But a lot of these comments, just the comment that you read, that's a recent comment, but a lot of similar misogynist attacks have been prevalent for the last few months. I think it initially started when my intention to stand for election was declared in a new local newspaper, and as a result they asked … social media has been used as a way to pose threats and just attack the person instead of discussing issues.

COUTTS: Roshika it's not just a war or words or a policy campaign, you're getting rape threats against you?

DEO: Yeah there have been a few threats that have been of that nature. Some through public forums, some through private messages, but yes.

COUTTS: Now there's a lot of talk being going on about who can stand and who can't stand, and I'm just wondering in terms of the decrees, whether you as a woman can stand as an independent or whether you have to join a party?

DEO: The political parties registration decree has a short provision on it which stipulates that independents can stand for election, and the constitution which was released a couple of months ago by the current … it also has provisions for independents. There's no fine details in terms of if independents have to get registered prior, but there's indications in the constitution and the political parties decree that independents would have to get registered once the nomination is issued, as would any political party candidate.

COUTTS: Now back on to a positive note before we finish this morning Roshika, are you getting any support anywhere, any positive feedback that Fijians are happy to have a woman as a candidate?

DEO: Yes I am, and I suppose that's one of the good factors about the campaign and something that is keeping us and me and everyone else that is involved in this campaign going. We are getting a lot of good support, we're getting a lot of support from young people, we're getting a lot of support from women, I mean you have access to the social media and you'll know that a lot of women are coming out in defence and are supporting, and there's also some men that are supportive. I mean you've seen the majority of the men prefer to attack, but there are a lot that have come out to support, they're either volunteering their time or they're in touch or they're spreading the word or they want to be involved in the campaigning one way or the other. So it has also been quite good too.

COUTTS: And what are some of the issues that you're campaigning on?

DEO: Right now we are in the process of developing policies around the issues. But the issues that we currently are looking at is women and children, the areas of education and health, and also we are focussing on land and environment, and also looking at accountability and transparency in terms of increasing accountability and also creating awareness of public accountability and enabling those forms of public accountability.

COUTTS: Are you the sole woman candidate or will you be joined by others?

DEO: There are other women candidates who are part of political parties that are standing as far as I'm aware. But yes, there are other women candidates.

RSS

FORUM

Veidigidigi e Viti e na yabaki 2018. 31 Replies

Started by viliame nabobo in World Issues. Last reply by Ratu Jonetani Tavadroka Feb 12.

Decision Making-Why Is It So Hard To Decide? 8 Replies

Started by anamaria in World Issues. Last reply by Islandgal Aug 27, 2018.

Who Is This Beast Mentioned In Revelation 13:18? - 666! 252 Replies

Started by UDDY in Spirit and Self. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jul 2, 2018.

Jesus Did Not Rise From The Dead On Sunday 150 Replies

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in News Discussions. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jun 21, 2018.

World War III 2 Replies

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in World Issues. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Jun 21, 2018.

Will Iran Succeed in Syria?

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in World Issues May 14, 2018.

How Can Fiji Sevens Team Improve its performance against the two Giant South Africa and Enland. 16 Replies

Started by Tomasi Vakameau in Sports. Last reply by Tomasi Vakameau Apr 30, 2018.

What Exactly Is Grace According To The Bible? 100 Replies

Started by Ulaya Racua Saidora in World Issues. Last reply by Ulaya Racua Saidora Apr 28, 2018.

MINING ROYALTY FAIR SHARING MODEL 4 Replies

Started by HON..DE..RAJ in World Issues. Last reply by Tevita Bolekinaivalu Masi Mar 24, 2018.

© 2019   Created by Matavuvale Admins.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service